Welcome to Year 4!
A new school year is always filled with such anticipation.
What will we learn? Who will we play with? What new interests will we discover? What books will we read?
Year 4 is an exciting place to be and I am so pleased to welcome you to our class page where you can find out more about some of the fabulous topics we will be exploring.
The information below will give you an insight in to what we will be learning about during the Autumn term and will also provide you with some suggestion websites that you may want to use to deepen your knowledge.
If you have any additional questions, please catch me at the end of the day or arrange an appointment through the office.
You can also contact me through the class email: email@example.com
Year 4 Timetable
What are we learning this term?
We will be focusing on the VIPERS skills to answer questions about what we have read. We will look at the layout and features of different fiction and non-fiction texts and explain how effective the presentation is for the reader. We will also explain how we know who the audience is and how a text could be improved to suit the needs of the audience.
Spelling Rules to learn:
- Most prefixes are added to the beginning of root words without any changes in spelling.
- The prefixes dis- and mis- have negative meanings
- The prefix in- can mean both ‘not’ and ‘in’/’into’
- Before a root word starting with l, in- becomes il.
- Before a root word starting with m or p, in- becomes im-.
- Before a root word starting with r, in- becomes ir-.
- Re- means ‘again’ or ‘back’.
- Sub- means under
- Inter- means ‘between’ or ‘among’
- Super- means ‘above’
- Anti- means ‘against’
- Auto- means ‘self’ or ‘own’
Tricky words to spell:
Probably, accident, accidentally, quarter, promise, purpose, actual, actually, breath, breathe, complete, consider, experiment, experience, library, natural, occasion, occasionally, various, particular
We will start with place value. Listed below are the small steps we will learn through the block:
- Recognise the place value of each digit in a four digit number.
- Round any number to the nearest 10, 100 or 1,000.
- Order and compare numbers beyond1,000.
- Read roman numerals to 100.
- Count in multiples of 6, 7, 9, 25 and 1,000.
- Count backwards through zero to include negative numbers.
Using purple mash, we will create our own 3-D maze on 2DIY3D.
We will look at the 'Big' question: What do Christians learn from the creation story? We will have the opportunity to discuss our own beliefs about creation and explore our favourite things in the natural world.
Please spend 5 minutes each day on spelling shed and Times Table Rockstars.
You need to read for at least 10 minutes every day and record it on WEDUC reading forms.
Additional homework will be set on Fridays and will need to be submitted the following Wednesday.
PE will take place on Mondays– make sure you come to school in your kit! Please remove any earrings.
Swimming will take place on Wednesday afternoon. Long hair has to be tied back and a swimming cap worn if possible. Girls must wear a costume and boys must wear swimming trunks. No baggy shorts or bikinis are allowed.
- Times Tables Rock Stars (ttrockstars.com)
- Spelling Shed - Spelling Shed - The Science of Spelling